By: Allyssa Johnson/Sophomore Writer and Alyssa Williams/Freshman Writer
Dash and Dot are robots that will be entered in the 2016 Wonder League Competition. Mrs. Angela Zick’s coding group has been programming them. Molly Yannone, Libby Zick, Samuel Callahan, and Ryan Scott are the group members.
Dash is the bigger robot, and Dot is the smaller robot. They are controlled by an iPad app called “Wonder.” Ryan Scott learned to control the robots by using “ScrollQuest,” a game on the Wonder app.
The robots will compete in a five-round competition.
1. Animal Mimicry: Dash has to make the noise of the animal he sees.
2. Tower of Trash: Dash has to move all of the trash away from Dot.
3. Rabbit Rescue: Dash has to circle around Dot three times. Dot will be pretending to be a rare species of rabbit, while Dash protects her.
4. Dash has to push Dot, who is pretending to be a baby polar bear, in a spot that is marked as the mother polar bear.
5. Dash has to knock a ping-pong ball off of a cup using a LEGO. The ball represents a fire, while the LEGO is a hose.
If Mrs. Zick’s coding group wins the competition, the Blue Ridge School District will receive $5,000, and the team members will get a free Dash robot to keep for their very own. Wish them luck!