By: Luke Updyke/Staff Photojournalist
On the night of January 7th, fire sirens and alarms could be heard rushing through Montrose, PA on their way to Original Italian Pizza. An intense fire broke out, leaving emergency responders with little to no time to respond and react to the situation at hand.
The flames ripped through the building within hours leaving the owners of the building with a total loss. There were apartments on the second floor above the restaurant, yet everyone managed to get out unhurt. The building has since been reduced to rubble and only a few structural pieces remain. Montrose residents called emergency services at around 11 pm that night.
Blue Ridge student Gavin Bradley felt that the pizza restaurant was “an extraordinary establishment that provided great food and a great atmosphere.”
Another BR student, Emma Glezen, believed Original’s to be a, “very family friendly restaurant.” She also adds that “anything from their pizza to their pasta was phenomenal.”
Officials say they are still not sure what the exact cause of the fire was, and that they will be investigating the incident. The restaurant was in business for more than 20 years in this location.
Plans to reopen in a new Montrose location in about 6 weeks have been put into motion. A staff dessert benefit is being held at the Bridgewater Church on State Route 176 in downtown Montrose on Friday, January 19th from 7-9 pm.
The event coordinator, Bob Kadlecik, asks that everyone “Comes to have their choice of many delicious desserts for a donation to help the staff of the Original’s restaurant.”
Luke Updyke is a senior at Blue Ridge High School and strives to do something new every single day. He enjoys creating music and pushes himself to do the best he can in all he does.